Dave’s Reasons Why Pay for Performance Won’t Work in DoD
1. No collective bargaining.
2. No grievance process.
3. All evaluations of individual performance are subjective.
4. It is impossible to guarantee that funding for pay for performance will continue in the future.
5. Systems have unintended consequences.
6. A small bonus will not motivate employees.
7. When people are told they are doing well, they improve their performance-when people are told they are doing poorly, their performance drops.
8. Most people think they are doing a good job.
9. It assumes vast majority are not working at a level that should be rewarded.
10. Performance depends on teamwork.